Σάββατο 3 Δεκεμβρίου 2016

2 Runners of the classical Marathon in Greece share their experinces

Pheidippides, the central figure in the story, 
was the inspiration for the modern sporting event, of the Marathon race, 
run from the city of Marathon to deliver the news
of a military victory against the Persians at the Battle of Marathon.
He fulfilled his purpose, in the past. 
Nowadays 2 modern runners share their purpose 
running on the Marathon on the 13th November 2016.
(Statue of Pheidippides alongside the Marathon Road)
Christian Schöps. 
Age 36, from Germany and living nowadays in Chania, Crete,
working as an Christian missionary, 
combining spiritual work with social services.


Thanos Charalampidis. 
Age 25, from Greece living outside of Athens in a small town named Koropi,
working in a NGO as the Athens Coordinator,
supporting Greeks and refugees.

How long do you run and when was the first time you attend this Marathon?
C.S. I run for over 20 years, but this was my first Marathon.
A.C. I remember my self running since I was a small boy.
This year I ran my 3rd Athens Marathon 42 klm.

(The historical route map of the Marathon map in Greece)

Was there a purpose you run for? 
C.S. Because of my work I am sitting a lot in the office.
So I decided to take part at the Marathon.
As deciding to join the Marathon, the great purpose was to bring
the Gospel of Jesus Christ to Athens,
so we prepared the running dress with evangelistic messages on it.
(Christian Schöps runs for... Jesus)
A.C. As every time, I run to raise support for the orphanage that my dad founded,
named TOM (TANZANIA ORPHANS MISSION).
In this Marathon 2016 I ran to Raise_The_Roof.
The cost is 10.000 euros to build the roof of T.O.M.'s
newest christian school for orphans.

(Athanasios Charalampidis is running for TANZANIA ORPHANS MISSION)

What is the first thing that comes to your mind 
when someone asks you about the Greek Marathon? 
C.S. I am always thinking about the runner,
who brought the good news about the victory to the people of Athens,
what a great message we do have in Jesus Christ to bring to the people.
A.C. When I think about the authentic Athens marathon,
I think of the historical victory of Greeks and the victory that we can have in Jesus Christ.
It is not my job to win the battle of life, but I am just the messenger
who has to run all over the world to bring this massage of hope and love.
(Athanasios Charalampidis)

Which was the most hard part at the original Marathon route? 
C.S. The last 6 klm. had been really challenging and hurt a lot.
With the goal before me, not to give up.
(Christian Schöps)

A.C. The authentic route of the marathon is the hardest worldwide, 
but when you get to the 25th klm. you think that this is the impossible race.
This is where most of the runners give up.

What was the most exciting part/kilometer of the Marathon for you and why? 
C.S. The most exciting part was the running down to the stadium in Athens,
with the crowds at the road, shouting and encouraging me for the last meters.
Their enthusiasm was great and gave an extra portion of power.
When we are on hard roads we need people beside us,
that encourage and strengthen us.
A.C. The most exciting moment of the marathon race is when you enter the stadium.
Everyone is cheering and when you cross the finish line...
there are no words to describe it.
It's heavenly.

On what way does the Marathon run, help you to see life? 
C.S. I am very thankful, that God has given me a body, that is able to complete the race.
We all are able to do some good actions with our bodies and hearts.
I never want to lose the goal - eternity - out of sight,
no matter how tough life will be and where the road will lead me:
Therefore, since we are encompassed with such a great cloud of witnesses, 
let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily entangles us, 
and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. 
Let us look to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, 
who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, 
despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. 
For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, 
lest you become weary and your hearts give up. 
Hebrews, Bible 12, 1-3.
A.C. Life is short, but it seems too long.
This race helps me think of the importance to encourage one another and life with stability.
It is not about the finish line but about the journey,
especially when you know that you are going to get to the finish line.

On what place did you end? 
C.S. 3434, in 3:58:49 hours
(Christian Schöps ending the race)
A.C. 11000. I know that I started last, but finish with my head held up high.
(Athanasios Charaalampidis ending the race)

N.S. 4/12/2016

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου